Pages

As I consider whether or not to continue this blog, I'd love your feedback. (Check as many boxes as apply.)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Good Girl": A Remedy to Tantrums

So we have been facing tantrum zone with our gal, who is going on two.  Sadly, it seems that instead of getting better, they are getting worse.  She is a delightful little angel with company, but leave Dad and I alone with girl and a monster emerges.

When we try to discipline or change a diaper, we are hit, scratched and hair is pulled.  As a mom, I sometimes don't have the strength to control these tantrums.  In effort to help the munchkin, we tried to not say, "No" as often, instead finding other ways to help her adjust her behavior.  While we are not against firm discipline, we have found Riley imitates us and often responds with the same disposition.

One morning I stepped out of the room and heard a cringing crash.  Our daughter had knocked over our computer.  I calmed myself and very seriously said, "Never, ever touch that again."  She glared me in the eye, pointed and said, "Don't!".  I realized in effort of avoiding the word, "No", I'd simply reverted to the word, "Don't".

Still, we have a child throwing tantrums and we feel even more helpless to stopping them.  So we have tried to focus on the positive moments more often.  We have been affirming our child, telling her she is a "good girl".  And even more precious, is that she can now say the phrase on her own.

This morning I was getting ready, before getting her up for the day, and heard her rummaging around her room.  I asked her if she was being a "good girl".  Without hesitation or emotion, she said, "No".

Just a few days ago, I was cooking dinner and the rascal was awful quiet.  Again, I posed a question, "What are you doing?"  She emphatically chimed in, "Good girl!"  She will even copy me when I affirm our dog, with the infamous phrase.

While the tantrum problem is not solved, helping our daughter focus on a more positive state helps her revert to a more gentle nature.  We are all learning and laughing along the way.  And while our sinful nature is not so attractive, even in little ones, it is just a reminder of how human we all are.


(If you have any advice on how to help little ones work through tantrums, please share in the comment field below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment